Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2019

In the time since facebook....

After inspiration from this youtube video, my boyfriend and I discussed seriously limiting our time on social media.  The youtubers divorce from all internet-ing, but that isn't a realistic option with my job or graduate work without making a hefty list of exceptions that would more or less defeat the purpose.  As you'll observe from the video, the primary area of concern is the issue of social media.  This also felt like a reasonable "internet sector" to isolate.  While my main social media trap is facebook, we are applying the same rules to all social media, lest it be a general problem.  We decided to lump in almost all phone games, because we've both wasted a fair amount of time there as well.  Exceptions are Pokemon while walking (exercise), and NYT crossword app as we usually do that together.

I will now write what I would post to facebook, if I were on facebook and not avoiding facebook...

Since "radically" diminishing my time on facebook to 30 mins / week, here's what I've observed:  

(Yes, it's been not a full 48 hours.... that's probably eye-opening as a start.... shush!) 

The increased productivity is all too clear.  While I still find ways to get distracted–the rest of the internet, the cats, my own mind–it's not nearly the toxic scroll of death.   It's been an all too reflexive go-to, whenever there is a moment's boredom.  

Idle time turns to creative thought, instead of the usual scrolling or game play.  I think about scripts for my potential youtube channel (might never happen), write blogs in my head, and sometimes just enjoy people watching or being more present in daily tasks.  

I do miss having the ease of casual connection with the 200+ people I more regularly interact with on my feed.  (Yes, I have 900+ "friends", but not everyone is exactly active).  

I am wondering about how to proceed post facebook fast... I'm loving the new-found freedom, but I don't want to permanently lose the sense of connection social media provides.  My past attempts at limiting my social media activity have been only partially (or maybe barely) effective.  One of my friends mentioned finding an add-on that removes your facebook news feed; I'm now seeing the value of that tool.  

While many have spoken to the negative psychological effects of seeing everyone's "highlight reel", the oppression of political discussion, and yada yada,  I haven't felt this so much.   I'm at a place in my life where comparison, while known as the thief of joy, isn't very enticing to me.   That said, perhaps there are latent affects that I'm unaware of,  the results of which I may not see until I spend more time away.  

In short summary, I'm pleased with the still brief foray into a world without never ending scroll.  

2 comments:

  1. I‘m so glad we‘re doing this, love. It feels like spring, when you can stop wearing gloves and a coat, and stop constantly applying lip balm. Poor analogy, that. Point is—I feel freer. And with you I feel more present.

    ReplyDelete